Summer Research Institute
The 2018 Mind & Life Summer Research Institute will be held June 2-8, 2018 at the Garrison Institute.
Applications will open on December 6, 2017 and close on January 17, 2018.
The Mind & Life Summer Research Institute (SRI), held annually at the Garrison Institute in New York, is a week-long immersive experience designed to foster collaborative research in behavioral science, neuroscience, clinical science and the humanities, based on a process of inquiry, dialogue and collaboration with contemplative practitioners and scholars. The long-term objective is to advance the training of a new generation of interdisciplinary scholars interested in exploring the influence of contemplative practice on mind, behavior, brain function and health, including the potential role of contemplative methods in shaping and enriching human experience and consciousness. SRI participants become eligible to apply for the Mind & Life Francisco J. Varela Research Grants.
The goals of the Mind & Life Summer Research Institute are:
- To cultivate strategic dialogue between neuroscientists, clinical scientists, other scientists of mind and behavior, humanities scholars and contemplative scholars/practitioners to develop new research collaborations that explore the mind from an integrative perspective, including first-, second- and third-person approaches, and the effect of contemplative practices on mind, behavior, brain and health.
- To create a context for this dialogue that embodies a contemplative orientation via meditation and yoga instruction, daily contemplative practice periods, a full day of silent contemplative retreat and a closing reception.
- To foster a new generation of nascent scientists (graduate students and postdocs) and contemplative scholars and practitioners interested in innovation and collaboration in research into contemplative practices.
- To catalyze the field of contemplative sciences, focusing on the study of how contemplative practices engender effects on brain, mind and behavior, and how these effects are conditioned by culture, history and other contextual variables.
- To examine and train in emerging methods and best practices, future opportunities and challenges within the contemplative sciences.
Previous Summer Research Institutes