A collaborative, interdisciplinary, and immersive opportunity to deepen work and connections around humanity’s response to the climate crisis for researchers, contemplatives, and changemakers.
Climate change and its consequences—from deadly forest fires to species loss to sea level rise—are reminders of the urgent need to repair the human-earth ecosystem through holistic, ethically-responsible action. The 2021 Summer Research Institute (SRI), a live online event, will explore how the union of contemplative traditions, indigenous wisdom, and science can lead to greater awareness of the interconnectedness of all life and reignite our collective responsibility as stewards of our planetary future.
What to Expect
The weeklong program includes:
- Live plenary lectures and Q&As with leading scholars, activists, and contemplatives in the climate sector
- Curated breakout sessions for storytelling, reflection, and action
- Daily meditation and contemplative movement practices, including two half-day contemplative retreats
- Interdisciplinary panel discussions for fostering inquiry and dialogue
- Social forums to network with participants and faculty
- Poster presentations with interactive discussion boards
- Contemplative arts offerings
The SRI is an application-based program. Applications are open until Thursday, April 1. Learn more about the application process, scholarships and fees using the following links.
Explore the SRI Live Online Speaker Series
To ensure broader access to SRI, we are also offering a synchronous SRI Live Online Speaker Series. The Speaker Series is designed for a general audience interested in hearing the latest on the convergence of contemplative practice, science, and the climate crisis, but who do not have time to attend the full length of SRI, or who are in time zones that prohibit participation in the live, immersive experience at SRI.
Participants in the speaker series will get live access to, and recordings of, the plenary talks, panel discussions, and contemplative practice sessions from our 2021 SRI.
Please note: Attending the speaker series does not fulfill eligibility requirements to apply for the Mind & Life Francisco J. Varela Research Grants ; only participating in the full SRI does.
SRI 2021 Faculty is comprised of contemplatives, scholars and changemakers from all around the world.
Loka Initiative, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Convening Faculty, PPC Member
Dekila Chungyalpa is the director of a new and innovative education and outreach program at the University of Wisconsin–Madison for faith leaders and religious institutions. Known as the Loka Initiative, … MORE
Who Should Attend
We welcome researchers, changemakers, humanities scholars, and contemplatives globally whose work and passions align with our theme of reawakening the human-earth connection.
Participants are selected through a peer-review process. Candidates of all races, ethnicities, classes, genders, ages, religions and spiritualities, physical abilities, sexual orientations, geographic locations, disciplines, and institutions are encouraged to apply.
Applicants to the Summer Research Institute must apply to one of two categories of participants:
- Emerging: Undergraduate and graduate students (currently enrolled or graduated) and postdoctoral fellows. Junior faculty (researchers across the sciences and humanities) and early-career changemakers (professionals, policy-makers, leaders, and activists) and contemplative teachers within five years of appointment or beginning work in the field.
- Established: Researchers (across the sciences and humanities), contemplative teachers, and changemakers (professionals, policy-makers, leaders, and activists) who have held faculty appointments or positions for more than five years.
Please note: Only Emerging researchers who attend the SRI may become eligible to apply for the Mind & Life Francisco J. Varela Research Grants. Other participants may be eligible for other Mind & Life grants.
For more information, please sign up here to receive email notifications from Mind & Life, which include announcements about the Summer Research Institute. For specific questions, please contact email@example.com.