Applications for the 2021 Summer Research Institute will be open Friday, December 18, 2020 through Friday, April 9, 2021. All application materials MUST be submitted by the application deadline; applications that remain incomplete or unsubmitted after the deadline will not be considered for acceptance to the program.
Applicants to the Summer Research Institute must apply to one of two categories of participants:
- Emerging: Undergraduate and graduate students and postdoctoral fellows. Junior faculty (researchers across the sciences and humanities) and early-career changemakers (professionals, policy-makers, leaders, and activists) and contemplative teachers within five years of appointment or beginning work in the field.
- Established: Researchers (across the sciences and humanities), contemplative teachers, and changemakers (professionals, policy-makers, leaders, and activists) who have held faculty appointments or positions for more than five years.
Please note: Only Emerging researchers who attend the SRI may become eligible to apply for the Mind & Life Francisco J. Varela Research Grants. Other participants may be eligible for other Mind & Life grants.
The registration fee is paid by successful applicants at the time of registration.
- 125 USD for Emerging Participants
- 250 USD for Established Participants
The registration fee provides participants access to the conference platform including video recordings of plenaries and panels post conference.
For more information, please sign up here to receive email notifications from Mind & Life, which include announcements about the Summer Research Institute. For specific questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted through the Mind & Life online application portal (see below for instructions). Applications will be open from Friday, December 18, 2020 through Friday, April 9, 2021. All application materials MUST be submitted by the application deadline; applications that remain incomplete or unsubmitted after the deadline will not be considered for acceptance to the program.
Required Application Materials:
- A personal statement (not to exceed 500 words) that describes: 1) how the SRI is relevant to the applicant’s work and/or studies; 2) how the SRI will develop the applicant’s research and/or career goals; and 3) how the applicant is poised to contribute to the learning exchange at the SRI and the field in general. When writing your personal statement, please be sure to specifically address this year’s SRI theme and its relevance to your work.
- Your current CV and/or résumé
For Emerging Applicants only: one letter of recommendation from a mentor or advisor or colleague (someone who knows you well enough to speak to qualities and experience as it relates to attending this program). The letter should articulate a compelling case for what the applicant will contribute or stand to gain by attending the SRI.
Poster proposal to be considered for presentation at the SRI (instructions for how to submit a poster proposal can be found within the online application form)
Scholarship application (part of the online application form)
SRI Application Criteria:
Applications will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- Relevance: The relevance of the applicant’s research or work to this year’s SRI theme.
- Development: How participation in this SRI will foster the applicant’s research and/or career goals.
- Contribution: The applicant’s potential to: a) contribute to the learning exchange at the SRI; and b) produce impactful work in their respective field.
Please note: Having an active contemplative practice is not considered a requirement for acceptance to the Summer Research Institute.
Instructions for Submitting an Application
Click the button below titled “Begin the Application Process” to be directed to the login page for the Mind & Life Online Application Portal hosted through SurveyMonkey Apply.
If you have not applied for a Mind & Life Institute Grant or Program through the online platform before, please create a new account by clicking the green “Register” button in the top right corner of the screen. If you have applied for a Mind & Life Institute Grant or Program in the past using the online platform, please use your previous account information to login. (Note to administrators and assistants: please fill out the information of the person you are registering in the account information section). If you are not sure if you have already created a Mind & Life login in the past, or are having trouble accessing your account, please email email@example.com for assistance.
Once you have created your account and logged in, you will be directed to the Mind & Life Institute Online Applications Portal which lists all open applications. To begin an application to the Summer Research Institute, click the green “more” button at the bottom right corner of the Summer Research Institute header, then once you have been directed to the program description page, click the green “Apply” button in the top right corner of the screen.
Once inside the online application form, follow the instructions on screen for filling out your personal information and uploading your application materials. Please note if you are accepted to the program, the same information you submit as part of the application will be used to populate your registration form for the event, so please make sure your information is accurate. A separate registration link will be sent out in May 2021 to finalize your registration for the SRI. (Note: submitting a SRI application does not constitute registration for the event, nor a commitment to attend).
For more information
Please sign up to receive email notifications from Mind & Life, which include announcements about the Summer Research Institute. For specific questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.