Title: Philanthropy Intern
Dates: Academic Year, Summer
Schedule: 10hrs/week during the Academic Year; up to 20hrs/week over Summer
Supervisor: Director of Philanthropy
The Mind & Life Institute operates as a nonprofit organization thanks to the charitable contributions of individuals, foundations and sponsors. Charitable contributions are the source of more than 90% of Mind & Life’s budget. The Philanthropy Intern would work with the Director of Philanthropy and the Philanthropy Team who are responsible for donor research, identification & cultivation, securing major gifts, corporate and foundation grants individual giving, and planned giving. Interns may earn academic credit or a stipend for their service.
- Researching and writing proposals for grant applications
- Conducting in-depth research about grant applications and organizations
- Developing and maintaining a database with all the information corresponding to grant organizations and deadlines.
Philanthropy interns will have the opportunity to:
- Gain experience in many areas of philanthropic giving with real world applications and practice.
- Advance writing and communication skills.
- Gain experience working in a nonprofit setting and as a member of a team.
- Form professional connections and learn from the dynamic Mind & Life staff and its global community of scholars, scientists and contemplatives.
- Explore contemplative practice for personal and professional development.
- Technical proficiency using Mac OS, Google Apps, and Excel
- Professional communication and conduct appropriate to emailing and speaking directly with donors
- Close attention to detail and quality of large datasets
- Desire to gain experience in nonprofit philanthropy
- Preferred: Basic understanding of relational database design and functionality
- Preferred: Some experience in administrative role
Please submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com using the subject line “Philanthropy Internship”. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis for academic year and summer placements.