Title: Programs & Events Intern
Dates: Fall Semester, Spring Semester, Summer Semester (Preference is given to applicants who can work two consecutive semesters.)
Schedule: 10-15hrs/week during the Academic Year; up to 20hrs/week during the Summer
Supervisor: Program Manager or Events & Logistics Manager
Location: Charlottesville, VA (Preference is given to applicants who are able to work in office in Charlottesville, VA. Remote options may be available, however intern must reside in VA or MA.)
Mind & Life’s programs and events serve as a framework for inquiry in alignment with the evolving priorities and needs of the contemplative studies academic community and the standards of scientific and scholarly rigor as well as serve the Advancement and Executive needs of the organization.
The Programs & Events Intern will provide support in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of the Institute’s programs which may include the Summer Research Institute and other in-person or digital programs and events that span across the organization, including the mentorship program and (in 2022) events specific to the 35th anniversary of the Institute and planning of an event with the Dalai Lama.
- More information related to the Summer Research Institute: A week-long (online in 2021, in-person in June 2022) immersive experience designed to foster collaborative research in behavioral science, neuroscience, clinical science and the humanities, based on a process of inquiry, dialogue and collaboration with contemplative practitioners and scholars.
- Work with the Programs & Events Team on a variety of operations to support Mind & Life’s in-person and digital programs and events
- Help to collect and organize program related information utilizing standardized document templates and best practices; complete administrative tasks such as drafting letters and creating contact lists
- Assist with data entry and compiling logistical reports for various programs
- Support community building and research persons of interest for inclusion in future projects
Programs & Events interns will have the opportunity to:
- Contribute to unique and engaging programs and events that are influential in promoting research, scholarship, and applications in the interdisciplinary field of contemplative sciences
- Increase Google Suite skills through advanced work in Google Sheets, Google Docs, and Google Calendar
- Develop database management skills and understanding of infrastructure that supports program management
- Advance writing and communication skills
- Gain experience in nonprofit program development and event planning, including digital events
- Form professional connections and learn from the dynamic Mind & Life staff and its global community of scholars, scientists, and contemplatives
- Explore contemplative practice for personal and professional development
- Excellent organizational and computer skills and attention to detail required
- Experience working in Google Suites preferred
- Experience in program/event planning preferred
- Interest in contemplative science/research preferred
- Excellent written communication skills preferred
- Ability to work independently and on collaborative, team based projects
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis for academic year and summer placements. Please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line “Programs & Events Internship”.