Title: Program Manager
Reports to: Director of Programs & Events
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Schedule: Monday – Friday
Status: Full Time; Exempt
Compensation: Competitive Salary
Benefits Include: Health & Dental Insurance covered at 100% for employee and 50% for dependents, 403(b) Retirement Plan, Profit Sharing Plan with 5% employer contribution, Professional Development, Paid & Retreat Time Off, Daily Group Meditation in dedicated contemplative space.
The Program Manager is responsible for overseeing the planning and content development, execution, and evaluation of assigned Mind & Life programs, both domestic and international, from initial planning phase through budget resolution and program evaluation. This dynamic position works with many different groups including program planning committees, program faculty, cross-departmental Mind & Life staff, and outside vendors.
- Manage selected programs from initial concept to onsite event operation, through post evaluation and archival process.
- In collaboration with the Events & Logistics Manager and other staff, ensure all programming logistics are well coordinated, including site selection, coordinating faculty and staff travel, developing conference app for specific programs, and onsite AV needs, etc.
- Oversee the program planning committees in developing themes, creating program layout, researching speakers, and generating content, including scheduling video call meetings, developing agendas, and maintaining minutes.
- Develop and maintain detailed, clear, and efficient planning materials, including but not limited to organization-wide planning timelines, program schedules, and day-of event plans.
- Develop and maintain event budgets in coordination with the Events & Logistics Manager, including monitoring expenditures, noting significant variance from projected budget, and updating and communicating any changes in a timely manner.
- Serve as the primary contact for presenters, program planning committee members, project coordinators, and participants, in regards to presentation requirements, program materials, and event schedules.
- Collaborate with the Communications and IT teams to develop and execute event communications and marketing plans, website creation, and design of other printed and digital program media.
- Bachelor’s degree; advanced degree preferred in a field relevant to Mind & Life mission (e.g. Contemplative or Religious Studies, Neuroscience, Psychology, Humanities, Education, Sociology).
- 3+ years of program or project management experience. Preferred in the academic or non-profit arena, may include managing a research lab.
- Knowledge of Contemplative Studies/Science field.
- Experience working with high profile individuals preferred.
- High level of organizational and time management skills with the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously with a keen attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills including interpersonal, written, verbal, listening and presentation, including aptitude within academic environment.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, to create new plan of action and systems, and to work collaboratively.
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google Drive required. Experience with database management software and event planning platforms (Cvent and Salesforce preferred).
- Global cultural orientation including familiarity and sensitivity in working with individuals from different cultures.
- Excellent problem solving, analytical skills and proven ability to think critically.
- Ability to main composure in difficult situations and to manage unexpected events and stressful onsite situations.
- Strong commitment to organizational mission of the Mind & Life Institute.
Travel is required 2-5 weeks per year for Mind & Life events.
Mind & Life is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion, and following best practices to support a thriving organization with a diversity of perspectives. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
We strive to create a healthy and respectful work environment. Additional employee benefits include remote work day once per week, subsidized parking at our downtown pedestrian mall location, monthly staff lunches, and bi-monthly chair massage.
Please submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com using the subject line “Program Manager application”.
Position is open until June 30, 2019.