Title: Program Manager
Reports to: Director of Grants & Convenings
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Schedule: Monday – Friday
Status: Full-Time; Exempt
Benefits Include: Health & Dental Insurance covered at 100% for employee and 50% for dependents, 403(b) Retirement Plan, Profit Sharing Plan with 5% employer contribution, Professional Development, Paid & Retreat Time Off, Daily Group Meditation in dedicated contemplative space.
The Program Manager plays an integral role in Mind & Life’s program offerings where we convene diverse perspectives at the intersection of research, contemplative wisdom and action. The Program Manager is responsible for overseeing the planning and content development, execution, and evaluation of assigned Mind & Life programs. Programs are offered digitally and via domestic and international in-person events. This dynamic position works with many different groups including planning committees, program faculty, Mind & Life staff and third party vendors.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manage selected programs from initial concept to onsite/virtual event operation, through post-evaluation process.
- In collaboration with the Events & Logistics Manager and other staff, ensure all programming logistics are well-coordinated, including site selection, coordinating faculty and staff travel, developing conference app for specific programs, and AV needs.
- For digital events work closely with the digital content team to coordinate live and pre-recorded event sessions, manage communications with faculty and participants, populate the event website, and oversee execution of the project plan.
- Oversee the program planning committees in developing themes, creating program layout, researching speakers, and generating content, including scheduling video call meetings, developing agendas, and maintaining minutes.
- Develop and maintain detailed, clear, and efficient planning materials, including but not limited to organization-wide planning timelines, program schedules, and day-of event plans.
- Develop and maintain event budgets in coordination with the Events & Logistics Manager, including monitoring expenditures, noting significant variance from projected budget, and timely updating and communicating any changes.
- Serve as the primary contact for presenters, program planning committee members, project coordinators, and participants, in regards to presentation requirements, program materials, and event schedules.
- Bachelor’s degree minimum in a field relevant to the MLI mission, or personal interest that aligns with MLI mission (e.g., Contemplative or Religious Studies, Neuroscience, Psychology, Humanities, Education, Sociology).
- Three or more years of program or project management experience in an academic or non-profit arena preferred.
- High level of organizational and time management skills with the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously with a keen attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills including interpersonal, written, verbal, listening and presentation, including aptitude within academic environment and experience with group meeting facilitation.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, to create new plans of action and systems, and to work collaboratively.
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google Drive required. Experience with database management software and event planning platforms (Salesforce, Survey Monkey, WordPress preferred).
- Experience with online/virtual event platforms (e.g. GoToWebinar, Zoom, etc) preferred.
- Global cultural orientation including familiarity and sensitivity in working with individuals from different cultures.
- Excellent problem solving, analytical skills, and proven ability to think critically.
- Ability to main composure in difficult situations and to manage unexpected events and stressful onsite situations.
- Strong commitment to organizational mission of the Mind & Life Institute.
- Travel 2-5 weeks per year for Mind & Life events.
- Mind & Life is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion, and following best practices to support a thriving organization with a diversity of perspectives. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
- We strive to create a healthy and respectful work environment. Additional employee benefits include remote work options, subsidized parking at our downtown pedestrian mall location, monthly staff lunches, and bi-monthly chair massage.
- Please submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com using the subject line “Program Manager application.”
Applications will be accepted through August 28, 2020.