Grants & Science Manager
Title: Grants & Science Manager
Reports to: Director of Programs & Events
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Schedule: Monday – Friday
Status: Full Time; Exempt
Compensation: Competitive Salary
Benefits Include: Health & Dental Insurance covered at 100% for employee and 50% for dependents, 403(b) Retirement Plan, Profit Sharing Plan with 5% employer contribution, Professional Development, Paid & Retreat Time Off, Daily Group Meditation in dedicated contemplative space.
The Grants & Science Manager will oversee the grants programs, assess and communicate the impact of grants programs, and collaborate with other staff members on scientific aspects of contemplative research activities within the organization.
- Oversee and manage day-to-day operations for existing grants programs.
- Oversee review committee selection and chair committee for final selection of awardees.
- Communicate with funders to ensure donor intent and update them on progress in each cycle.
- Monitor and assess grant program effectiveness and provide strategies for continuous improvement and efficiencies.
- Work with MLI leadership to develop and implement new grants programs.
- Develop visuals and written content to share impact of grants programs. Write blogs and essays to communicate recent developments to the public.
- Attend meetings/conferences as needed to represent MLI and remain involved with current research. Serve as liaison to academic centers within the contemplative community.
- Coordinate with other members of the Programs & Events team on aspects of event programming from a scientific and research lens.
- PhD required in a relevant scientific field (e.g., neuroscience, psychology, cognitive science), with at least 3 years postdoctoral experience.
- Contemplative research experience preferred.
- Prior experience leading and directing staff preferred, along with experience in building and supporting communities of researchers.
- Ability to understand and communicate scientific content related to contemplative practice (e.g., neuroscience, psychology, clinical science), as well as integrate this content with knowledge from other disciplines (e.g., humanities, philosophy).
- Excellent organizational skills; ability to set priorities and manage multiple projects, advancing each independently; track record in grants management preferred.
- Technology savvy with ability to interface with communications platforms (e.g., websites, social media, mobile apps) and staff.
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to work with a variety of internal and external partners.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of Mind & Life Institute.
- Mind & Life is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion, and following best practices to support a thriving organization with a diversity of perspectives. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
- We strive to create a healthy and respectful work environment. Additional employee benefits include remote work day once per week, subsidized parking at our downtown pedestrian mall location, monthly staff lunches, and bi-monthly chair massage.
- Please submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com using the subject line “Grants & Science Manager application.”
The position is open until September 27, 2019.