Director of Communications
Reports to: President
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Schedule: Monday – Friday
Status: Full Time; Exempt
Compensation: Competitive Salary
Benefits Include: Group Health and Dental Insurance, Short Term & Long-Term Disability Insurance, 403(b) Plan, Profit Sharing Plan, Optional daily group meditation and Paid Time Off options
About the Mind & Life Institute
Since its founding 30 years ago, the Mind & Life Institute has seeded and nurtured the field of contemplative research. Beginning as a series of intimate dialogues between His Holiness the Dalai Lama and leading Western scientists and scholars, Mind & Life has since paved the way for new approaches of understanding the mind and human behavior. Acting as both as a convener and a catalyst, Mind & Life bridges contemplative wisdom traditions with interdisciplinary discourse and investigation in an attempt spark deeper inquiry and innovations, with the objective of alleviating suffering and promoting human flourishing.
The Director of Communications is responsible for managing and overseeing all external communications functions and platforms within the organization, which include print, digital, video, brand, marketing, and key messages for Mind & Life on the web and in social media, news, email, and in materials for Programs and Philanthropy.
Supervising a small team of direct reports which includes a Graphic Designer and a Digital Media Coordinator, the Director of Communications thoughtfully aligns communications strategy with the organizational values and mission of the Mind & Life Institute.
- Maintains strategic brand oversight of Mind & Life, with senior team, board and President; Develops and implements strategy to foster global recognition for Mind & Life
- Plans key messaging and communications timelines for all Mind & Life events, initiatives, partnerships and narratives
- Develops and maintains avenues of targeted communication for academics and researchers, donors and potential donors, press and the general public
- Provides creative direction, strategy, writing and editing for content creation, including production of video stories and multimedia writing projects
- Oversees public and media relations – pitching reporters, answering questions, researching and cultivating relevant news stories and features; Developing news releases and press kits as required
- Collaborates with Programs team across event processes to create marketing and programmatic materials; Contributes to writing, review and editing of written program material
- In collaboration with senior management, prepares annual department budget, monitors department spending, and provides periodic spending forecasts
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, Public or Media Relations or other relevant degree
- Minimum 8 years of experience in journalism, marketing, communications, public relations, higher education or a combination therein; Publishing experience helpful
- Experience in content management systems, online platforms, social media marketing, social media tools and metrics; Demonstrated experience in conceiving marketing strategies for events
- Possesses a deep understanding of all aspects of communications, with a strong background in developing communications and media strategies
- Excellent writing and organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to inspire talented and creative Communications team
- Strong commitment to the organizational mission of Mind & Life
Applicant may be asked to provide work samples. Occasional travel is required.
Please submit your cover letter and resume/CV to firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line “Director of Communications”