Title: Communications Manager
Reports to: Director of Communications
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Schedule: Monday – Friday
Status: Full Time; Exempt
Compensation: Competitive Salary
Benefits Include: Group Health and Dental Insurance, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability Insurance, 403(b) Plan, Profit Sharing Plan, Optional daily group meditation and Paid Time Off options
The Communications Manager plays an essential role in our communications efforts. The incumbent shall have a sincere interest in communicating the science, philosophy and applied work supported by Mind & Life, from neuroscience to mental health, anthropology to psychology, ethics to education and much more. This position reports to the Director of Communications and will work in collaboration with other team members in order to understand and convey the nuance of key issues explored through our work.
- Write, develop, schedule and manage content for various communication needs of the organization, including social media, website updates, blogs and e-newsletters.
- Work with freelance writers, designers, vendors, staff, and Mind & Life community members to develop additional content for the website, print materials, program books, and internal and external documents.
- Work with the Director of Communications to develop new communications projects and strategize on messaging, marketing and other communication efforts.
- Copyedit and proofread all public-facing documents.
- Serve as liaison between Mind & Life departments to facilitate various communications efforts.
- Perform content updates for our website.
- Provide weekly updates and progress reports on projects and core responsibilities.
- Complete other tasks and assignments, as requested.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 3+ years managing communications projects with a focus on writing, social media and web-based content, preferably in a nonprofit setting.
- Experience/familiarity with contemplative practices and/or contemplative sciences (preferred).
- Strong writing, copyediting and proofreading skills.
- Familiarity with academic subject matter with the proven skill to translate concepts to a lay audience.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills for managing weekly updates and project deliverables.
- Ability to provide high quality collaborative documents such as meeting notes, action item lists, weekly reports, executive summaries.
- Exhibits professional demeanor with a diverse group including executives, managers, freelancers, and subject matter experts.
- Ability to manage WordPress websites and basic HTML formatting for e-newsletters.
- Familiarity with social media and website analytics is a plus.
- Strong commitment to organizational mission of the Mind & Life Institute.
- Position may require occasional travel.
- Please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line “Communications Manager.”
The position is open until January 18, 2019.