Title: Accounting Manager
Reports to: President
Location: Office in Charlottesville, VA. Remote options available in Virginia and Massachusetts
Schedule: Monday – Friday
Status: Part Time; Exempt (20-25 hours/week)
Compensation: $40,000 – $48,000
The Accounting Manager is responsible for the accounting functions including ledger maintenance, A/R and A/P, investments, revenue and asset recording as well as associated analysis and reporting. Evaluates and makes improvements to accounting processes while ensuring that practices comply with organization accounting policies and applicable laws and regulations. Leads and directs outside bookkeeper.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsibility includes oversight for general ledger, A/R, A/P, payroll, banking, investments, and credit cards.
- Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements.
- Prepare financial/budget reports for project/program requests, and grant financial reports in coordination with Advancement team.
- Maintain monthly & annual financial metrics & reporting to staff and board.
- Lead annual budgeting process in conjunction with the senior leadership team.
- Monitor actual to budget progress and keep senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial results.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process & tax return preparation.
- In collaboration with the board Investment Committee – manage investments and ensure stated policies are followed.
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
- Provide oversight for payroll process and administration with bookkeeper.
- Responsible for employee retirement plans.
- Maintain all business insurance policies.
- Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices.
- Complete other tasks as assigned.
- Ability to translate financial concepts and effectively collaborate with programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds.
- Strong knowledge of Quickbooks Online accounting software, G-Suite and Excel.
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which support and enable sound decision making.
- Nonprofit accounting experience with a successful track record in a financial management role for at least 3 years.
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders. Prior experience managing accounting staff is a plus.
- Has command of cultural sensitivity and embraces cultural, political, and social differences.
- Personal qualities of integrity, confidentiality, and credibility.
- Strong commitment to organizational mission.
Level of Education and Professional Licenses / Certifications Required
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting or finance required
- CPA certificate preferred
- At this time, this remote opportunity is only available in Virginia or Massachusetts.
- Mind & Life is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion, and following best practices to support a thriving organization with a diversity of perspectives. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. Please see Our Commitment to Racial Equity and Inclusion on our website.
- Please submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com using the subject line “Accounting Manager application”. Position is open until September 17, 2021.