Investigating the Mind-Body Connection:
The Science and Clinical Applications of Meditation
Mayo Clinic Rochester
Wednesday, April 16, 2008
Mind and Life XVI convened the Dalai Lama, scientists, clinicians, other contemplatives, and an audience of Mayo Clinic professionals to review the current science and clinical applications of meditation, and, to identify new lines of research on and clinical applications of contemplative practices such as meditation within medicine. New scientific studies are beginning to show that meditation may have specific beneficial effects for helping patients cope with certain diseases and the stress associated with them, particularly chronic diseases; and that biological processes underlying some of these diseases may be effected in beneficial ways by the practice of meditation.
The panel discussion with His Holiness the Dalai Lama, as well as the other conference presentations, are available by clicking the links below.
- His Holiness, the Dalai Lama (Panel Discussion)
- Matthieu Ricard, Ph.D.: A Contemplative Approach to Human Flourishing: The Short and Long Term Effects of Mental Training
- Jon Kabat-Zinn, Ph.D.: “Reflections on the Origination, Development, and Scope of Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Programs in Mainstream Medicine”
- Richard J. Davidson, Ph.D.: “Mind-Brain-Body Interaction and Meditation”
- Linda E. Carlson, Ph.D., R. Psych.: “Mindfulness-based Stress Reduction Programs for Patients and Families Living with Cancer: Overview of a Program of Research”
- Roshi Joan Halifax, Ph.D.: “Compassionate and Mindful End-of-Life Care: A Relational-Contemplative Approach for Clinicians”
- Daniel Goleman, Ph.D. (Audience Questions)
- The Short and Long term Effects of Transforming One’s Mindwith contemplative Matthieu Ricard, Ph.D.
- Reflections on the Origination, Development, and Scope of Mindfulness-based Stress Reduction (MBSR) Programs in Mainstream Medicine with Jon Kabat-Zinn, Ph.D.
- Mind-Brain-Body Interaction and Meditation with Richard J. Davidson, Ph.D.
- MBSR Programs for Clinical Patients Diagnosed with Cancer with Linda Carlson, Ph.D.
- Compassionate and Mindful End-of-Life Care with Roshi Joan Halifax, Ph.D.
The morning session was moderated by Mind and Life board member and best-selling author Daniel Goleman, Ph.D.
Afternoon Panel Discusion with His Holiness the Dalai Lama
The afternoon session included a panel discussion between His Holiness the Dalai Lama, Glenn S. Forbes, M.D., CEO of Mayo Clinic Rochester, Daniel Goleman, Ph.D., and Geshe Thupten Jinpa, Ph.D., to discuss the broad range subjects covered in the morning session.
Mind and Life XVI was a remarkable opportunity to share the fruits of ongoing scientific investigations, inspired and promoted by over twenty years of Mind and Life dialogues between contemplatives and scientists, and to begin a conversation on these investigations and their relevance for future science and clinical practice with a community of the Nation’s leading physicians and physician-scientists. The Mayo Clinic is an organization of nationwide scope and global reputation in medical research, clinical practice and education. Finding new and better ways of providing health care is a part of Mayo’s mission. With this meeting, Mind & Life Institute brings together leading scientists and health care professionals with contemplatives and His Holiness the Dalai Lama in the service of forwarding that mission.