Focus area: Contemplative Leadership
The Mind & Life Institute (MLI) is a non-profit organization whose mission is to alleviate suffering and promote human flourishing by catalyzing and supporting the rigorous multidisciplinary investigation of the mind and the nature of reality. Our mode of investigation is rooted in an integrated way of knowing that combines modern scientific third-person inquiry, second-person dialogical methods and first-person direct experience rooted in phenomenological and contemplative practice. MLI’s multidisciplinary methodology brings together scientists from the physical, biological, cognitive and social sciences, with contemplative practitioners, contemplative scholars, as well as educators and researchers from the relevant humanistic disciplines. We believe that only through such integrated forms of investigation can one achieve the insights necessary to understand more fully how the mind works, and forms of learning and teaching that best support the social, emotional and moral development of the individual from childhood through young adulthood.
MLI seeks to hire a Program Officer capable of developing and implementing one of our newest undertakings, the Academy for Contemplative and Ethical Leadership (ACEL). ACEL’s primary focus will be to develop a summer academy that will nurture a community of young leaders by working with a faculty of leadership visionaries in order to advance contemplative and ethical aspects of leadership. This program will be part of our larger research initiative in Ethics, Education and Human Development, which also involves the design of curricula and pedagogy in compassion and secular ethics from Pre-K through young adulthood. This position will report to the Director of Programming.
Planning and Development
- Lead the process of designing, developing and implementing a program from concept to actualization
- Coordinate and convene complex interdisciplinary advisory and planning committees, chairing where appropriate
- Work closely with the Director of Communications on the development of marketing strategies and materials
- Work closely and synergistically with other emerging institutional centers focused on contemplative leadership
- Identify organizations and individuals providing unique and outstanding programs. Develop ongoing partnerships in design and delivery of specialized courses
- Review lectures and programs held by other organizations to identify dynamic and cutting-edge ideas and partnerships
- Coordinate the faculty and the development of the content for ACEL
- Manage the admissions process for ACEL
- Work closely with the operations team on the logistical elements of programming
- Determine the needs of constituents by conducting surveys, interviews, and focus groups and incorporate feedback into the programming as needed to meet the needs of constituents
- Identify and help to cultivate program funding prospects; draft program funding proposals; grant writing
- Work with MLI Controller to develop and manage budgets
- A PhD, MPA or MBA with a focus in leadership
- A minimum of five years in a leadership position
- Demonstrated competency in the theory and practice of leadership
- A proven interest in the “inner work” of leadership as well the education of leaders and the future of leadership
- Strong project management skills managing multifaceted projects resulting in measurable successes and program growth
- Demonstrated success developing and evaluating program models, and selecting and successfully implementing innovative programs
- Proficient in using technology as necessary for project management and reporting
- Strong budget management skills
- Ability to work independently with a high degree of self-sufficiency and initiative while also functioning as a member of a team in a small-office environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with exceptional attention to detail
- Experience writing grants
- Interpersonally skilled and able to work collaboratively with business, academic and contemplative colleagues from a broad range of disciplines and backgrounds, as well as logistical and research staff
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to and passion for MLI’s mission (http://www.mindandlife.org/about/mission/)
- Responsive to and respectful of a diverse range of cultural sensitivities
- Ability to travel to MLI events and programming
- Experience with contemplative practice
Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
The Mind & Life Institute benefits package includes:
- Medical & Dental Insurance
- 403B Program
- Paid Holidays and Vacation
- Retreat time off
- Support for Professional Development
The Mind & Life Institute strongly supports workplace diversity. Candidates of all races, genders, ages, religious, or sexual orientations are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please send a statement of interest and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 3, 2013.