Open position at the Mind & Life Institute:
The Mind & Life Institute is a non-profit organization that seeks to understand the human mind and the benefits of contemplative practices through an integrated mode of knowing that combines first person knowledge from the world’s contemplative traditions with methods and findings from contemporary scientific inquiry. Ultimately, our goal is to relieve human suffering and advance well-being.
The Development Associate will assist in meeting Mind and Life’s fundraising goals by providing critical administrative support to all development and outreach activities; in addition, the Associate will provide support for the use of the MLI contacts database for all MLI departments. The Development Associate will be an enthusiastic Mind and Life representative in all constituent relations and work as an integral member of the Mind and Life team. The Associate will be trained by and work closely with the Development Officer. Goals, objectives and overall supervision of the Development Department are the responsibility of the Director of Advancement and Global Development. This is a full time position, reporting directly to the Director of Advancement and Global Development and based in our Hadley office.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform data entry to maintain and update donor/prospect records as appropriate in a timely and accurate manner. This includes recording of all individual, foundation, business and grant contributions, and notes from donor/prospect meetings and conversations. Adheres to consistent processing guidelines and balances work load to ensure timely/quality entry of gifts.
- Prepare gift receipts, visit acknowledgements, thank you letters and other routine donor/prospect correspondence.
- Prepare bulk email templates. Send bulk emails and physical mailings to donor/prospect list, including fundraising appeals and event invitations, and track responses to mailings as needed. Ensure that development staff and event managers have up-to-date information on special guest event attendance.
- Maintain backup (paper) donor/prospect files.
- Help to maintain calendar and database for international and domestic meetings
- Prepare donor packets for distribution and assemble materials for donor visits.
- Run routine reports from Salesforce for development tracking.
- Perform a one-time clean-up of the entire MLI contacts database, and support the Development Officer in working with database vendors.
- Record and file notes from Director of Advancement & Global Development’s meetings with programmatic and philanthropic partners.
- Maintain Salesforce mailing lists for fundraising, event promotion, and programmatic purposes.
- Identify and recommends policy improvements to increase data accuracy and maximize the value of the data.
- Attend and staff various internal and outside events as part of the Mind and Life Team.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Excellent writing, mathematical and verbal skills.
- Solid computer skills in a PC or Apple environment with the capability to master new software applications and technologies in database management. Good skills in the functional use of Excel and Microsoft Word.
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully under pressure, manage multiple projects and deadlines, understand and follow policies and procedures, and accommodate change.
- Tremendous attention to detail, organization, process management, and goal orientation.
- The ability to prioritize work and to work independently and productively in a team.
- Flexibility, willingness to meet unexpected demands.
- Professional demeanor, honest and reliable.
- The ability to deal effectively and politely with people from all backgrounds.
- Sound judgment with excellent diplomatic skills.
- Comfortable with public engagement and sense of humor.
- Ability to handle confidential materials with discretion.
- Availability to work occasional evenings and weekends.
- Non-profit administration experience.
- Experience creating HTML/CSS email templates.
- Knowledge of Salesforce database.
The Mind & Life Institute benefits package includes:
- Medical & Dental Insurance
- 403B Program
- Paid Holidays and Vacation
- Retreat time off
Salary range will be 35,000 – 40,000.
The Mind & Life Institute strongly supports workplace diversity.
Candidates of all races, genders, ages, religious, or sexual orientations are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three or more professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 30, 2014.